Altrusa Annual April Shower
Effective March 14, 2020 Due to the latest COVID 19 virus we have decided to postpone this event and will be revisiting a new date once things have improved within our Rochester community.
Altrusa of Rochester will be hosting our tenth April Shower on April 14th, 2020. We will be showering the Permanent Supportive Housing Program of Person Centered Housing Options (PCHO). This organization, PCHO, provides a continum of services that engage any homeless person in bettering their lives. The shower this year will be at the Christ Church on East Ave starting at 5:30pm. We will be having appetizers, a main entree and desserts, as well as, a large variety of gift baskets too. A portion of the proceeds from the gift baskets will be donated to the Permanent Supportive Housing Program. Our guests are asked to bring an item or two from the "Permanent Supportive Housing Program Wish List" or any household item that you use on a regular basis. We will have a separate collection for toilet paper, paper towels and tampons, currently there is a very big need for these items for the clients of PCHO.
Our shower began over ten years ago when we invited Bill and Joanne Cala of Joining Hearts and Hands to present an update on their work building schools in Kenya. We have partnered with them to both build an entire classroom and fund four scholarships for girls to attend high school. The idea to invite guests beyond the club membership spurred the search for a large enough facility and a means of serving a simple catered supper. Thus was our first April Shower born.
Over the years we have hosted April Showers of this nature for several local organizations and groups. We have had amazing support from the local community for these events. We have showered many groups and would like to highlight them.
- Joining Hearts and Hands
- Kinship Care, families who are raising children whose parents have been incarcerated or killed
- Jennifer House, a post-prison outreach ministry of Spiritus Christi
- Rochester International Academy and School 42 Libraries
- Maggie Harris of the Community Lutheran Ministry, Maggie ran an after-school programs and summer camps
- The Women's Place, a temporary shelter for single women and women with children awaiting permanent housing
- Cameron Community Ministries After School Program School 54, emphasis on positive behavior and conflict resolution
- Open Door Mission's Residential Home for Women and Children, transitional housing for homeless moms and children
- Crisis Nursery of Greater Rochester, provides temporary care for babies and children during family crisis